Blue Plaques 12 - 14 Market Place: The Kings Head in Barnard Castle
Barnard Castle Blue Plaque 12 is located at 14 Market Place, known as the “Kings Head.” Charles Dickens stayed there on 1st and 2nd February, 1838, while collecting material for his novel “Nicholas Nickleby.”
The part of the building bearing the plaque was the King’s Head Hotel when Dickens stayed there. He interviewed various people, including a local solicitor and a man who had taught at William Shaw’s Academy at Bowes (4 miles away); he visited that school and met the proprietor, and he used the information to create the fictitious school of “Dotheboys Hall” in his novel.
Alan Wilkinson and Peter Dixon continue to review of the Blue Plaques around Barnard Castle. This time they stop off opposite the former Kings Head in Barnard Castle. Alan tells Peter some of the history of the building, its architecture and the connection with Charles Dickens.
File download (MP3 | 6MB | 6:23min)