Blue Plaques 17 - 30-32 The Bank, Blaygraves
30-32 The Band is a 16th Century House, later an inn. The accession of James 2 was celebrated here by local magistrates and there was a tradition that Oliver Cromwell was entertained here in 1648. The Barnard Castle Blue Plaque 17, 30-32 The Bank is currently known as the Blaygraves Restaurant.
As well as a private house, an inn, and a restaurant, Blagraves (named after its seventeenth century owners) has been a rope-works and, in the twentieth century, a museum. The little stone musicians on the front wall are a twentieth century addition, but on one of the rear walls is a carved boar, the emblem of Richard III (1452-1485).
Alan Wilkinson talks to Peter Dixon
File download (MP3 | 9MB | 6:31min)